Saturday, June 5, 2010

Families

I'll say it. Families are messed up.

A while back, my sisters and I did some searching for my dad on the Internet.

My parents were divorced my senior year in high school. The day of my graduation was the last day that I saw my father. Well, no not really I guess. I saw him when he came to visit my little sister once. But that was only from behind and we didn't speak.

Anyway, we found him. He has some things on the Internet posted about him and his new family. He did mention about his four daughters though. He statement was "....but who cares".

I'm not sure why, but that really hurt. Somehow it cut me deeply and it probably shouldn't have....if my family wasn't so messed up!

But I guess we all have our baggage no matter what our family is like and no matter who we are. And the messed up situations make us who we are. I used to say that I wouldn't trade my life and the things that I've been through for anything. That it makes me who I am. I like who I am....well...most days. :o)

I do think that God uses what we've been through and circumstances in our lives to make us more like him. I can only say that it's about our reaction to the circumstances and it's about how we glorify Him in our reactions. Sometimes I feel like that is glib, but it is true.

So how does one find someone to have a "normal" family with? How does one go about weeding through all that baggage out there and find a matching set? It seems that so many people are carrying baggage that doesn't match my set and of course I want my baggage to co-ordinate!
lianagrace


No comments: